She learned a couple of good lessons this past week. One, I had her do all the wood gathering for the fire on the second night. She realized how much effort it takes to get a nice size fire going. She also experienced the dangers of flying sparks and why certain fabrics are safer to wear. A small spark landed on her while she was sitting on my lap. I helped her flick it off but not before it melted two small holes in her sweat pants. She didn't get burned, but she saw first hand how quickly fire can burn and why fire retardant fabrics are important to wear. It spooked her in the kind of way where she gained a very healthy respect for fire while not becoming fearful.
I teach her to not kill bugs unless they're causing havoc in the house. I have killed large, biting spiders, and ants that infiltrate the kitchen, but mostly, I try to let them live and release them back into their natural environment. We caught a large bumble bee on the window sill with a jar and released it outside. We also scooped up one, small spider and put it on the ground. I encourage her to examine bugs when we're on hikes. Sometimes we'll look up information about them on the Internet at a later time.